[Fsfe-ie] Nuala Ahern MEP - against softpat directive

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Sat Feb 7 12:09:26 CET 2004

teresahackett at eircom.net wrote:
> While inviting Irish MEPs to a meeting at the European Parliament
> next week in Strasbourg on the IPRE directive, I came across a press
> release from Nuala Ahern, Green MEP on how she's against software
> patents and voted against the softpat directive last year. The Greens
> are an influential political group in Parliament. Nuala is not
> standing for re-election in June 2004, so perhaps she can burn her
> boats before she leaves!How about meeting up with her to discuss
> strategy? http://www.nualaahern.com/releases/release2303.htm

Its nice to be reminded that there is intelligence in Brussels after all ;-)

Realistically though, what practical influence can MEPs have now that
the swpat issue is in the hands of the EC  Council?

Having exchanged a number of emails with her over the Summer, I believe
Avril Doyle MEP is also on our side (IIRC she is also a Leinster MEP).

Ian.