[Fsfe-ie] patents letter stuff

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Jan 14 23:08:44 CET 2004

jm at jmason.org (Justin Mason) writes:
> Ian Clarke writes:
> >Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> >>   Can people find a few great technologies that *aren't* patented?

> >Um, the Internet? :-)
>
> Also, the Web is *explicitly* patent-free

ok :) I suppose the Internet would fit the bill.  and email.

Any more though?

What new-era software-technology does the public use?

Internet, email, mobile phones - SMS, PCs, ???

(I don't regard IRC, ICQ, AIM, etc. to be in wide use yet.  Am I wrong?
are they patent-free? is Voice Over IP in wide use?)

Is SMS patent-free?

PCs : no company needs a patent license to develop software for a PC.
(I'll have to think of a really good wording for that though.  Maybe
"programming" is more to the point, I'll keep thinking...)

I'd like to be able to point out that all software innovations that have
pushed society forward, are patent-free.  So what other examples are there?

--
Ciaran O'Riordan - http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/