[Fsfe-ie] RMS talk, copyright and license

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 1 12:44:36 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, June 1, 2004 at 06:39 -0500, Éibhear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Already I have been asked by a lecturer who owns the copyright on the talk.
> Specifically he asks about "the mpeg video", though I don't know if it's
> different for each format.

I think David owns the copyright on his own work - he suggested this
license in his earlier mail to the list:

> © 2004 IFSO -  Verbatim copying and distribution of the entire
> speech are permitted provided this notice is preserved.

and I am happy with that. I think a license that also includes the
right to extract sections (so that a class doesn't have to watch the
entire thing, for instance) is also fine. Creative Commons, anyone?

> He's keen to include it (or part of it) in an MSc. course he gives in TCD.

Might I ask who it was? I could talk to them directly.

> Is the video of the talk available on a Free license? Which one? Who owns
> the copyright?

The intent is that it be free for anyone to use. I'll propose a
license shortly if nobody else does(! - it's David's recording)

--
Glenn Strong