[Fsfe-ie] Opportunity to question MEP candidates

Ian Clarke ian at dodo.freenetproject.org
Mon Jun 7 00:18:31 CEST 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 04:38:55PM +0100, Malcolm Tyrrell wrote:
> > On Tuesday, there will be a live broadcast from the Royal College of
> > Surgeons with the Dublin candidates. Arrive by 21.30. An opportunity to
> > raise any issues...
>
> Yes. I guess we should send someone along. I'm willing to go.  If the
> opportunity arises, we should have a specific question prepared.  Off
> the top of my head, something like:
>
>   There is a proposed EU directive at the moment that would allow
>   software to be patented.  Are the candidates aware of the large scale
>   opposition to this move and do the candidates agree that allowing
>   software patents will expose software developers to more litigation,
>   thereby harming software innovation in Europe?

The pro-patent response would be something like "The Council's proposal
will prevent patents as such" - I think a simpler question that is more
difficult to evade would be more appropriate.

Something like "In September 2003 the European Parliament voted to add
amendments to the software patent directive to ensure that software
patents are kept out of Europe, last month the European Council
effectively removed all of these amendments, will the candidate(s)
support the reintroduction of the EP's clarifying amendments when the
directive is returned to them?"

Ian.

Ian Clarke                			            ian at locut.us
Coordinator, The Freenet Project	      http://freenetproject.org/