[Fsfe-ie] Gnu with Harp

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Thu Mar 4 13:01:05 CET 2004

> I must re-state the concern that basing the FSFE logo on what is
> essentially an "in" joke is probably a mistake (ie.  the whole Gnu
> thing is not someone the intended audience of most of our public
> statements will understand - "what does a moose have to do with free
> software?" etc).

Firstly, I assume that your use of FSFE is a typo. I guess you mean IFSO.

I think we are in broad agreement that a Gnu with a harp isn't a suitable
IFSO logo. My own reluctance to using it is due to the fact that it
implies a stronger connection with the FSF than we can justifiably claim.

On the other hand, I do think this logo would be great for a potential
Free Software promotion campaign. I personally think that a Gnu with a
harp is a very suitable image for promoting "Free Software in Ireland".
We could, for example, stick it on CD covers, t-shirts, web-pages. The
harp is an effective image within Ireland. And the Gnu is cute!

Malcohol.