[Fsfe-ie] Information flyers.

Éibhear eibhear.geo at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 16:33:14 CET 2004

Hi,

At the meeting on last Thursday, I mentioned the flyers that were handed
out to members of the audience at the recent talk by Darl McBride in
Harvard University. For those who are interested, they can be found off
the page

http://web.mit.edu/jonas/www/faim/

which describes the talk from the perspective of the authors of the flyers.

Inspired by the flyer for GNU/Linux, I did up my a version on free
software which members of the IFSO could hand out at conferences and the
like.

See the PDF at http://www.geocities.com/eibhear.geo/IFSO/IFSO-free.pdf
The two images I used in the document were modified celtic IFSO logo by
Cathal (because it's the one *I* prefer) and the baby GNU image from the
GNU web site.

I used scribus to do it up, but it lacks certain functionalities that I
was hoping to use. The most disappointing absence was not being able to
use bullet points or numbered list like HTML's <UL> and <OL> tags. You
can get the scribus version at

http://www.geocities.com/eibhear.geo/IFSO/IFSO-free.scd.gz

(I had to compress it because Yahoo! GeoCities didn't seem to like the
contents) and the two images at

http://www.geocities.com/eibhear.geo/IFSO/celtic-font-2-revised-small.png
http://www.geocities.com/eibhear.geo/IFSO/baby-gnu-sm.png

Let me know if you're having problems getting them (or if have violated
anything by placing them on my own web-site).

What you might want to change:
* Anything and everything. This is just a first try.
* I am concerned that it might be too packed and that there might be too
much information.
* Also, I'll point out that there is little discussion about the
differences between beer and speech. The initial introduction discussion
defines free software in terms of the freedoms it grants, and later in
the leaflet I refer to the difference between free software and "freeware".
* Finally, I studiously avoided the term "open source". I may be wrong
here, but I believe IFSO falls on Mr. Stallman's side of the argument
and I wanted to highlight the freedoms that come with the software and
not the (consequential) openness of the software's development process.

Let me know what you think, but be warned that due to my current working
conditions, I can't reply to the list during office hours.

Sin é,

Éibhear

--
Éibhear Ó hAnluain