[Fsfe-ie] Irish proposal on software patents passed

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 18 20:36:53 CEST 2004

Ian Clarke wrote:

> This is an (apparently successful) attempt by the pro-patent lobby to
> torpedo the whole directive on software patents, since they are well
> aware that the European Parliament is extremely unlikely to vote for
> this version when it is returned to them (because it removes all of
> their amendments and safeguards).
>
> Their strategy seems to be that having effectively killed this
> directive, they will now pursue the introduction of software patents
> through less transparent means, doing everything they can to minimise
> democratic scrutiny of their actions.

Um..  I think that's not actually right.

It's going to be a knife-edge battle to get amendments reinstated in the
European Parliament second reading debate.

They're counting on us failing, and then this directive will go in to law.

Last time our votes were floating right on the line of the 50% absolute
majority that's going to be needed next time.

The awareness of MEPs about this issue in the election now is going to
be really critical -- come Autumn, every vote is going to count.