[Fsfe-ie] Irish proposal on software patents passed

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Tue May 18 21:16:16 CEST 2004

James Heald wrote:
> Ian Clarke wrote:
>> This is an (apparently successful) attempt by the pro-patent lobby to
>> torpedo the whole directive on software patents, since they are well
>> aware that the European Parliament is extremely unlikely to vote for
>> this version when it is returned to them (because it removes all of
>> their amendments and safeguards).
>>
>> Their strategy seems to be that having effectively killed this
>> directive, they will now pursue the introduction of software patents
>> through less transparent means, doing everything they can to minimise
>> democratic scrutiny of their actions.
>
> Um..  I think that's not actually right.

Thanks for the clarification James, even the most interested of us
clearly still have problems understanding how our laws are written ;-)

I am currently listening to the proceedings, it seems that there are a
number of changes.  For example, 1a has been changed to say "A computer
program as-such shall not constitute a patentable invention".   Some of
the other amendments seem convoluted - when do we anticipate having a
view on whether the final document addresses our concerns?

Ian.