[Fsfe-ie] Irish proposal on software patents passed

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Tue May 18 23:17:44 CEST 2004

James Heald wrote:
> No: it was a con, which fooled enough delegations to get it through.
> The proposal is not materially different to the one the Irish first
> proposed.
> Most importantly, the Commission (it's not clear with the deliberate
> complicity of Germany) conned the member states into thinking that they
> were offering a tightened up definition of the word technical, by
> claiming to offer a "compromise" on the German proposal for article 2(b):

One would hope that such underhanded tactics would increase sympathy for
our position at the next EP vote, or is such deception commonly used to
undermine the will of Europe's elected representatives?

I hope that the next time this hits the EP it can be characterised for
what it is, a direct challenge to the influence of the Parliament on how
laws are written in Europe.

Ian.