[Fsfe-ie] Irish proposal on software patents passed

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Wed May 19 20:39:26 CEST 2004

Niall Douglas wrote:

>The letters I'll be sending to all MEPs will be simple: reinstate all
>amendments originally made by Parliament previously.

I have spoken to many of the Scottish MEP's minions today and based on
their feedback I agree that this is the best strategy.  Some were
blindly following their party line (Labour and Tories are pro-swpat),
but some were keen to hear more and when I said that all I wanted was
the reinstatment of the original amendments, they seemed willing to
agree to that.

>Ok, who knows what happens if the EP restores all its previous
>amendments? Can the commission then simply withdraw the directive
>completely or must they accept it? Can they ignore the EP again?

Others know more about this than me, but my understanding is that if
they reject it, then it goes into some kind of third-party arbitration
to try to reach a compromise, but if either party really doesn't want it
to go through, then it won't.

Sadly, the fact that Ireland won't hold the presidency when this happens
can only be good for us, since they seem to be completely in the pockets
of the large US corporations when it comes to software.

>And when is the second reading? I'd like to do two rounds of letters
>if possible, I'll have income for the first time in two years come
>september.

I have heard that it is likely in September, but again, others probably
know better.

Ian.