Making the case against software patents (Was: Re: [Fsfe-ie] Ivana Bacik

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Sun May 23 12:26:31 CEST 2004

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> I've just been talking to RMS, and he suggested that we let some MEP
> candidates have the mic for 5 minutes to state their views - but probably
> only if more than one shows up - otherwise it would seem like a straight
> endorsement.

Thats a good idea.  One potential problem is that even those MEPs that
are aggressively pushing software patents tend to use language that
suggests the exact opposite.

For example, imagine that Arlene McCarthy was invited to speak after RMS
and said:

"Computer software and business processes/methods are explicitly
excluded from patentating [sic] in both the UK already and this proposed
EU law." (referring to the pre-amendment directive from last Summer).

One would be tempted to think that, based on this statement alone (which
comes from one of her boilerplate responses to people who write to her
about swpats), that McCarthy understands and agrees with RMS' case
against software patents, while we all know that the opposite is true.

In other words, how are we to warn people not to take the statements of
the pro-patent lobby at face-value without simply denouncing them as
outright liars (which would allow our opponents to accuse us of making
an ad hominem argument and inappropriately "aggressive" lobbying tactics).

Ciaran, perhaps you could put this question to RMS (I considered Cc:ing
him, but I suspect he gets enough email as it is without being copied on
mailing list discussions)?

Ian.