[Fsfe-ie] IFSO Bookmarks

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Wed Apr 20 11:49:40 CEST 2005

With regard to bookmarking, it was agreed at the IFSO meeting last night
that we'd continue to use the Wiki page for now.

Nevertheless, I think I'll address some of the issues raised by the
consideration of social bookmarking tools.

For those not familiar with this "social bookmarking" stuff, these may be
useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_bookmarking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy

The two tools being considered are:
http://de.lirio.us/
http://del.icio.us/

Can someone who uses delicious and delirious construct some nice searches
from their existing tag sets and add links to the results (if this is
possible) to our wiki bookmarking page:

http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/IfsoBookmarks

Justin Mason wrote:
> my recommendation -- use http://del.icio.us/ and pick a tag that others
> are not likely to collide with -- "fsfe-ie" is perfect.   (This is what
> several other communities have started using for this purpose, btw.)

Using an existing service is certainly worth considering.

One issue that might become important is the question of control. Can we
stop other people using the fsfe-ie tag? This wouldn't be my default
stance, but it might become necessary.

More generally, does your argument not also apply to Wikis? (Note that I
don't currently use a social bookmarking tool, so perhaps the analogy isn't
valid.) So, one could argue that we could have the IFSO wiki as a subset
of someone else's wiki (e.g. Wikipedia).

If we did decide to use an existing service, the the choice between
delirious and delicious is an interesting one. Delicious seems (to me) to
be technically superiour and has a far bigger community. Delirious is Free
Software.

Harry Tormey wrote:
> Besides, we are the "Irish freesoftware foundation", if their is a piece
> of free software which does the same thing as a piece of non freesoftware
> don't you think it would look bad for us to be using the non free
> version?

I agree with this standpoint. We had a discussion on this list before
about IFSO's position viz freeness of on-line software. I don't think
any agreement was reached.

Justin Mason wrote:
> Why use del.icio.us instead of de.lirio.us?
>
> social bookmarking relies on many people using it. small populations
> means you're missing the point ;)

Well delirious and delicious seem to be offering exactly the same service,
so in general your point holds true. However, we would be using them for a
specific purpose, so the community size would matter less.

> Most people who may already be tagging these URLs are more likely to be
> on the latter.

This is a good point. If people are mostly using delicious and we choose
an alternative, it might seem that we are asking people to bookmark twice
or to favour our option rather than the one they usually use.

Good luck,

Malcohol.