[Fsfe-ie] Re: Some help with understanding the directive document?

teresahackett at eircom.net teresahackett at eircom.net
Fri Aug 26 22:17:51 CEST 2005

Hi Ciaran,

There are two parts, a Council framework decision and a proposal for a
Directive. They are usually separate political processes and have
different procedures. Here there are two stages, but each process will
follow the same procedure as usual. The framework decision lies mainly
with the Council with little role for the parliament. The procedure for
the Directive should be the same as usual. Perhaps you should check this
with a local.

Why do they need a framework decision?
Criminal sanctions are a matter for Member States under the principle of
subsidiarity. The Council framework decision is necessary to override
the principle of subsidiarity in this instance, so that there can be
Directive on this issue. Otherwise, the Directive could be challenged in
the ECJ and would be likely deemed illegal. There is case law on this.
This is why criminal sanctions were removed from IPRED1, as it was
likely the Directive would have been struck down by the ECJ.

So we should support the organised crime parts but get rid of commercial
scale and the TRIPS+ provisions e.g. inciting infringements, etc.

There's probably not much we can do on the framework decision, but we
should be able to lobby for the directive. But take advice on this!

Teresa