[Fsfe-ie] Pro-patents sites

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 12:07:42 CET 2005

Ian Clarke wrote:

> Campaign for Creativity is run by Simon Gentry, a PR professional who
> works as a hired-gun outfit for corporate lobby groups (previously he
> successfully lobbied for the extremist "Life Patent" Directive which is
> causing all sorts of problems).  C4C is a front for corporate interests
> masquerading as a grass-roots organisation.

There's more on Simon Gentry here, including a particularly tasty
comment he made in a ZDnet talkback last month:
	http://kwiki.ffii.org/SimonGentryEn

> I'm not sure about patents4innovation, but I suspect it is similar.

P4I was set up by EICTA.  Sun and Cisco have already taken their names
off the site, as have some national ICT associations.

The first draft of the site was largely written by Nokia's lead IP lobbyist.

The pro-swpat push in Brussels has been almost entirely led (in
descending order of activity) by Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson, Philips and
Alcatel, either in their own name, or working though these 'umbrella'
front organisations.