[Fsfe-ie] Letter to Creevy

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Feb 16 12:50:54 CET 2005

Ben North <ben at redfrontdoor.org> writes:
> Including changes others on the list have made, that would leave us with
> something like the text below.

Thanks to everyone for the timely and good improvements.

I would have liked to add more details of how the Council's text would have
permitted patents on software ideas and I would have liked to make it more
clear why patents are specifically bad for software, rather than just bad in
general, but I just wouldn't've had time to write/confirm/correct it.

And the reason for leaving the "Every patent is a regulation on software
writers ... swpats harm Lisbon strategy" at the top is that implementing the
Lisbon strategy is McCreevy's duty, and cutting down on
regulation/bureaucracy is his stated aim.  So that paragraph should show him
the importance of reading the other points.

I forgot to add a finishing line "thanks, contact us at X, etc", but Malcolm
probably added something to that effect before faxing.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/