[Fsfe-ie] Patent letter, new, long

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Sun Jan 23 19:20:50 CET 2005

I know this is very late in the day for this letter, but I am a bit
concerned that the explanation of the problems with software patents
misses the wood for the trees somewhat, focusing on specific examples
of harm, but without explaining the underlying reason for the harm.

I recently tried to address this in an article focusing on the "big
picture" issue with software patents, and if it isn't too late, perhaps
there are some useful ideas in it that could be incorporated into the
letter.

Please find the article here:

http://locut.us/~ian/blog/archives/39-What-is-wrong-with-software-
patents.html

Again, apologies for sending this at the 11th hour.

Ian.

Founder, The Freenet Project	http://freenetproject.org/
CEO, Cematics Ltd				http://cematics.com/
Personal Blog					http://locut.us/~ian/blog/