[Fsfe-ie] next bach of ifso cd's

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 24 22:41:20 CET 2005

On , January 24, 2005 at 21:06 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> "Malcolm Tyrrell" writes:
> > I think we should view the IFSO disks as one of our key projects. It gives
> > Free Software great exposure.
>
> I agree.  I've finally gotten to see one of the CDs and it's brilliant.
>
> I've made a list of suggestions.  David, should I post them here or make a
> wiki page for them?
>
> The main thing is to add Emacs and a replace Mozilla with Firefox or
> Epiphany.  The rest are really just UI/menu tweaks.

A wiki page is probably a more convenient reference when building the
disc (but discussion here).

I agree with Firefox (& Thunderbird, I suppose). But is the page
composer available in anything but Moz? What's the total size for all
three anyway (since the Gecko core should be shared).

I love Emacs and it's my main working environment, but I'd rather see
GCC/G++. That would make the disc useful for students who have
programming homework, etc. If free-java-sdk and python also fit then
that's a lot of ground covered.

> > Perhaps we can set up a working group to help David?
>
> This seems like a good fit for a wiki page or three, y/n?

Yes. I'll make a start if you like. The key question is, David, what
kind of help do you need? People to test? People to package? What else?

> > On the issue of CDs vs DVDs, there's probably a lot of old computers out
> > there without DVD drives
>
> I'd agree here.

It's obviously true - every DVD drive can ready CDs, but not the other
way around. Still, the attraction not having to pick & choose packages
is huge. Can we find out how many people in the target audience would
be able to use a DVD?

--
Glenn Strong