[Fsfe-ie] IFSO Wiki updates

IfsoWiki at ifso.ie IfsoWiki at ifso.ie
Sat Jul 9 09:00:01 CEST 2005

 * GlennStrong IfsoBookmarksSat, 09 Jul 2005 07:00:01 -0000
     * 2005-05-09 [http://www.tes.co.uk/2094985 UK Government Research suggests schools could halve computer costs by "Ditching Microsoft"]
       * 2005-05-05 [http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39197320,00.htm Open source groups ally to target schools]
       * 2005-07-08 [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4642461.stm "UK government's school computing agency, Becta, has said schools could save costs by switching to what is known as open source software."]
    +  * 2005-07-08 [http://scoil.linux.ie/ ILUG project to "promote the use of Free and Open Source software within schools in Ireland"]

      Free Software in Government
       * [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/09/publicbodies_love_linux/ Linux in UK Local Councils] URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/IfsoBookmarks?action=diff
 * 193.120.144.172 McWeeney/ProsAndCons;Sat, 09 Jul 2005 07:00:01 -0000
     ##language:en
      == Mel McWeeney ==

    - Email: [[MailTo(hashbang AT SPAMFREE Ocean - Free DOT Net)]]
    + Email: [[MailTo(hash bang AT SPAMFREE Ocean - Free DOT Net)]]
    +
    + = Zooming in =
    +
    + Now that we have avoided the scourge of software Patents, and Klaus Knopper can walk amongst society for the foreseeable future, I think we should avail of his technology!
    +
    + This goes back to Hoary aka. Gnoppix aka. Gnome-Live or Beatrix with the remaining space using our own content.  I really think this could be an and/or thing, because the Bugs mentioned on Gnoppix 1.1 have apparently been fixed, and I'll use my forthcoming broadband to check the hell out of them and make sure that's true.  What would be lovely would be if we could use the likes of "UnionFS";http://www.unionfs.org/ on future releases.  As far as I've read, it can be morphed (in a jigdo sort of way) to provide both the files seperately and the ISO WITHOUT doubling the space.  Someone read it and see if I'm right about this.  Incidentally Slax is growing on me (but not for this particular occasion) because customising LiveCDs is a complete doddle, and it already uses UnionFS.  Only problem is Patrick (please Kut the Krap) Volkerding dropped shaggin' Gnome so we'd need to add Dropline or Freerock .tgzs of our choice.
    +
    + Anyway, looks like the Hoary bugs are out, and the Breezy Badgers are now defaulting to Gnome 2.10 which is the version we need.  Now to find one without DHCP bugs (hangs if NIC unconnected), and it would be NICE if the boot messages were refined a bit (as per most Knoppixes out there).
    +
    + == Open to thoughts ==
    +
    + Like to hear your feedback and I'll reply when I can.

      = Our Next CD -Candidates Pros and Cons = URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/McWeeney/ProsAndCons%3b?action=diff