[Fsfe-ie] Enforcement Directive mark two

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Wed Jul 13 13:53:30 CEST 2005

David O'Callaghan <david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie> writes:
> This law could be used to define a company producing generic
> medicines without a patent licence as a "criminal organization".

Careful there.  This is an argument to be used by the Irish Free Medicines
Organisation, not IFSO.

I'm not saying you shouldn't support IFMO, or start that organisation, but
lets not repeat one mistake made in the swpat battle: arguing for your
position without stating your real reasons.

Two examples of this were the overemphasis of harm to SMEs, and the
focussing on trivial patents.

Those two problems can be solved (in theory) by making a government funded
SME Patent Defense Fund, and by increasing the funding of the EPO so as to
increase quality.

I don't have any faith that either solution would have worked in practice,
but if they had (or if other such solutions worked), our claimed problems
would have been solved, but our actual problem would be as bad as ever.

If you don't ask for what you want, you mightn't like what you get.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan,                              |   Support FSFE's work against
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/             | software patents by becomming