[Fsfe-ie] Re: McCreevey and ther next step

Barry Mahon barry.mahon at iol.ie
Mon Jul 25 17:44:35 CEST 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:00:11 +0200, <fsfe-ie-request at fsfeurope.org> wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. McCreevy indicates the next step (Glenn Strong)

IMO, the most interesting bit of the Silicon R report is the speech by Bernadette Cullinan,
quote:
"research and development was critical to the future success of the Irish economy" Underlining the importance of IPR for the software sector, she added: “We must continue investing in innovation and know that there is protection for that investment.”

"Agreed" to both remarks, but if you do R&D and don't protect your investment, if that is what you want, you only have yourself to blame. There is plenty of IPR protection around. It seems to me that what  the Irish Software Association, and others, are after is guaranteed/remunerated protection under patents, not the sort of IPR protection you have to police yourself.

Bye, Barry