[Fsfe-ie] EFF style organisation to be set up in the UK

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Tue Jul 26 10:46:40 CEST 2005

If it is really going to be like the EFF, then people should be well
aware that it won't be permitted to lobby politicians (the tax status
of the EFF precludes political lobbying).

In other words, it wouldn't have been able to do what FFII or the
FSFE did in the software patents battle.  There is nothing wrong with
that per-se, but people should be aware of it.  It will not be a
political lobbying organisation.

Given that the UK tends to be less litigious than the US I am not
sure that it will have the same impact that the EFF does in the US,
but I could be wrong (I don't know much about the UK legal system).

Of course, perhaps it won't be an exact carbon copy of the EFF and it
will actually be able to lobby politicians.

Ian.