[Fsfe-ie] Interesting development from gpl-violations.org

Bryan O'Donoghue typedef at eircom.net
Wed Jun 8 14:16:31 CEST 2005

Éibhear wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to a press release
> (http://gpl-violations.org/news/20050601-targa-lidl-notebook.html) from
> gpl-violations.org, a TARGA notebook supplied to LIDL in Germany violates
> the GPL. This is the system that will be on special in LIDL accross the
> Ireland from Monday next
> (http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050613.p.Notebook), while
> stocks last. I can't see anything to suggest that the specific violation
> alleged is, or is not, likely to be propagated to the version available in
> Ireland.
>
> Is it within IFSO's remit to make known that there are doubts about the
> correct use of Free Software licensing on the system?
>
> On the good side, a EUR1500 64-bit laptop with pre-installed GNU/Linux and
> what looks like a TV card is nothing to be sniffed at.

Hmm,

Ich kann Deutsch nicht sprechen...

als

having just looked at the Targa website.

www.targa.de there is a link... which contains another link to here

http://download.gocyberlink.com//ftpdload/linux/source/PCMLinux_GPL_sources.zip

Which is reasonably prompt action on the part of Cyberlink/Targa, I
guess... if not completely compliant with the exact text of the GPL
section 3.

--
Bryan