[Fsfe-ie] IFSO Wiki updates

IfsoWiki at ifso.ie IfsoWiki at ifso.ie
Fri Jun 24 09:00:03 CEST 2005

 * DavidOcallaghan FurtherRefutationsFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     not diluted. These protections are a right, they are not a privilege.
      We must not allow them to be trampled on. We must fight back."

    -   Whee! This pseudo-rebellious bullshit really annoys me... Fight the
    -   power, man! --DavidOcallaghan
    +   This is the big-business world attempting to look rebellious. The "a right, ... not a privilege" thing is
    +   factually wrong.

      ----

    @@ -69, +69 @@

        Software, but this is orthoganal to the patents issue, and indeed to the
        commercial/non-commercial issue.

 * GlennStrong AboutIfsoBlurbFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     Merged content into the IfsoPromo/AboutIfso page

    - One thing that we should be doing to help explain
    - the meaning of Free Software to people we talk to is end all communications with an "About IFSO".

    -
    - Here's a suggestion.  It says all I think we'd want to say, but it doesn't
    - read as well or as interesting as it could.  After my draft,
    - I've pasted the "About Us" blurbs used by FSFE and FFII for reference.
    -
    -
    - About IFSO
    -
    - Free Software is software which comes with the freedom to study it, modify it and redistribute it. Notable examples of Free Software include the GNU/Linux operating system, the OpenOffice.org office suite and the Firefox web browser. The Irish Free Software Organisation (IFSO) was founded in January 2004 with the aims of promoting and protecting Free Software in Ireland. IFSO seeks the wider use of Free Software, and a wider understanding of the benefits that software freedom brings through independence, transparency and the ability to collaborate with others. IFSO would also like to see businesses which write, deploy or support Free Software being encouraged. IFSO works to ensure that new legislation does not restrict the writing of Free Software so that Free Software can continue to flourish.
    -
    - About the Free Software Foundation Europe:
    -
    - The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a charitable non-governmental
    - organisation dedicated to all aspects of Free Software in Europe. Access to
    - software determines who may participate in a digital society. Therefore the
    - Freedoms to use, copy, modify and redistribute software - as described in
    - the Free Software definition- allow equal participation in the information
 * GlennStrong CiaranoRiordanFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     The password for my previous wiki login (capital O, small R) is in my inbox, but I'm using this wiki because I can't access my email, so this is a new login.

    - I just made a page AboutIfsoBlurb.
    + I just made a page About``Ifso``Blurb.
    +   I've merged that page into IfsoPromo/AboutIfso -- GlennStrong [[DateTime(2005-06-23T21:49:19Z)]] URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/CiaranoRiordan?action=diff
 * GlennStrong IfsoPromo/AboutIfsoFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     IFSO was founded in January 2004 with the aims of promoting and protecting software which comes with the freedom to study it, modify it and redistribute it: Free Software.  Notable examples of Free Software include the GNU/Linux operating system, the OpenOffice.org office suite and the Firefox web browser.  IFSO seeks the wider use of Free Software, and a wider understanding of the benefits that software freedom brings through independence, transparency and the ability to collaborate with others. IFSO would also like to see businesses which write, deploy or support Free Software being encouraged. IFSO works to ensure that new legislation does not restrict the writing of Free Software so that Free Software can continue to flourish.

      = Some similar blurbs from other orgs =
    +
    + For reference, here are similar blurbs from other related organisations. When we're satisfied with the state of the IFSO blurb take these away, OK?

      == About the Free Software Foundation Europe: == URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/IfsoPromo/AboutIfso?action=diff
 * GlennStrong FrontPageFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     Some pages added recently:

    -  * DraftPressRelease
       * IfsoProjects
    +    * SoftwarePatents/DraftPressRelease
       * IfsoBookmarks

      ---- URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/FrontPage?action=diff
 * CiaranOriordan SwpatMepArgumentsFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     added identical EPO and US stupid patents

      Two pages stapled together, the top page is a US patent on something
      stupid (like one click shopping).  Ask the MEP if they think this is a
      good patent.  The MEP says "yeh, but this is a US patent".  Turn to
    - page #2 which is the granted EPO equivalent.  (I don't have URLs to
    + page #2 which is the granted EPO equivalent.  (I haven't merged this
    - suitable documents, but I'll post them here if/when I do.)
    + data into the against-swpat.pdf yet)
    +
    + EP0403120: http://v3.espacenet.com/textclam?&DB=EPODOC&RPN=EP0403120
    +
    + US5249263: http://v3.espacenet.com/textclam?&DB=EPODOC&RPN=US5249263

      === Council discarded MEP's 1st reading advice === URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SwpatMepArguments?action=diff
 * DavidGolden SoftwarePatents/DraftPressReleaseFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     DG's random comments...

             Yah, Maybe. We don't want to get in a slagging match either, it diverts attention. Maybe leave it for now. -- GlennStrong [[DateTime(2005-06-23T23:36:16Z)]]
       * I think references to free software should be reduced.  This directive effects software freedom as a whole, not just free software.  By that, I mean this is about the right to develop software to do the job you want done, and the right to distribute software you've written.  This is seperate to whether or not you've decided to respect the freedom of the users of the software.  CiaranOriordan
         I don't agree that they should be reduced, there are not many as it is, and we are a Free Software organisation -- GlennStrong [[DateTime(2005-06-23T23:36:16Z)]]
    +     * Indeed, it is important to remember this press release is presumably coming from IFSO, there's no point in pretending to be something you're not (while that is a tactic used by the Bad Guys, the annoying thing about being the Good Guys is that you can't use those Bad Guy tactics because you're the Good Guys...): I think the point might be to just be wary of the fact it's necessarily  going to be labelled as coming from the Free Software world:  That could be an avenue for the usual propaganda attempts to paint all software patent opponents as free software people. Though the UAEPME thing counters that somewhat, I guess, I suggest you might want to meet the FUD head on and be even more explicit with e.g. "IFSO said it was important to remember the issue is by no means one that affects only Free software, millions of SMEs across europe from the proprietary and Free software spheres are united in their concern...". -- DavidGolden
    +  *  Note that saying open source is at particular risk is not necessarily true, as while it would indeed be at great risk, IMHO at least small proprietary software firms are likely at as much risk -- DavidGolden
    +  *  I think making a first-paragraph clear point  the directive could seriously negatively impact software using companies and leave them vulnerable to litigation, not just software producing SMEs, might be good: the first paragraph needs to hook people in almost as much as the headline (might be a bit too complicated to also point out that even software producing SMEs typically use far more software packages than they produce...) -- DavidGolden
    +    * If you do mention watch out for the indemnification FUD with something like "while some companies see in the new legislation the opportunity to offer SMEs indemnifications and insurance against software patents, software using SMEs should bear in mind that the cost of such measures, which would be unnecessary in the absence of software patents, will be passed on to them." -- DavidGolden
    +  * Invoking the gods of Google, HP, IBM , Sun and Oracle by name without their permission in a press release might, um, annoy them. It shouldn't annoy UAEPME/ISME members in theory, but it might take them by surprise and I have no idea if they like surprises. -- DavidGolden
    +  * Given the IFSO DOES have a stance on civil liberty (otherwise it'd just be the IOSO), I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of "IFSO pointed out that, since a patent monopoly by definition gives the patent holder power to stop other people doing whatever it is the patent covers, there are serious concerns over the civil liberty implications of patents applied to computing, and such concerns are buried under talk of mere economic implications of patents." -- DavidGolden URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SoftwarePatents/DraftPressRelease?action=diff
 * CiaranOriordan SwpatBulletPointsFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     * '''The Council's text discarded all meaningful limits adopted by the parliament'''

    + * '''In the 2nd reading, every abstention counts as a vote for the Council's text.'''
 * CiaranOriordan SwpatPortalFri, 24 Jun 2005 07:00:03 -0000
     added MEP arguments

    + SwpatMepPositions - info on MEPs from Ireland

    - SwpatMepPositions
    + SwpatBulletPoints - a one page summary

    - SwpatBulletPoints
    + SwpatMetArguments - documents that make our point URL: http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SwpatPortal?action=diff