[Fsfe-ie] Abusive caller to Proinsias De Rossa MEP

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Mar 9 17:53:05 CET 2005

On Wednesday, March 9, 2005 at 15:28 +0000, James Heald wrote:
> Fwd'ing this I've just seen from an FFII person in Brussels.
>

> Personal contacts with MEPs are *vital*, if we're to win the vote ahead.
>
> We mustn't let idiots like this poison them.

At the moment the ILUG (Irish Linux Users Group) are organising an
email campaign. There is only circumstantial evidence, but it seems
possible some list members overreacted. I've sent a separate mail to
ILUG about this in an attempt to keep it from happening again (I'm
sure many folks here are also on that list, and will have seen it).

It would be very easy for a few phone calls like that to give us all a
bad name.

I got a phone call earlier today from an assistant of de Rossa's. I
assume that was a result of him being directed to our site by the
message below. I tried to make it clear when I spoke to him that we
don't consider this behaviour acceptable, and that IFSO was not
advocating it.

[snip]

> Anyway, it is not unthinkable that this person is also calling other
> Irish MEPs, but I doubt many more will contact us about it. I don't
> know how to react to this kind of things, or how to prevent (reduce) it
> though.

I've tried to reduce the likelihood of this by making the point on
ILUG that it's counterproductive (not to say downright rude).

--
Glenn Strong