[Fsfe-ie] McCreevy: Commission will take "utmost account" of Parliament amendments

Adam Moran adam at webarchitects.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 18:09:48 CET 2005

Hi,

I've just stumbled across this letter from Charlie McCreevy to the Chair
of Committee on Legal Affairs [1] and wonder as to its meaning.

It seems to be saying that the Parliament can decide to *reject* the
proposal, and that if this should happen then he would 'not propose to
submit a new directive'. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Letter from:

Charlie McCreevy
Member of the European Commission

Letter to:

Mr Giuseppe Gargami
Member of the European Parliament
Chairman
Committee on Legal Affairs
European Parliament
Rue Wiertz
1047 Brussels

Dated 9th March 2005

Dear Chairman,

Following the formal adoption by the Council of its common position on
the proposal for the directive on the patentability of computer
implemented inventions on Monday 7 March, the Commission has today
forwarded to the European Parliament its communication on the Council's
common position in accordance with normal procedures.

You will recall that I attended the Committee on Legal Affairs on 2
February to debate this proposal with the Committee. I also attended the
meeting of the Conference of Presidents on 3 March and made a statement
in the plenary session of the European Parliament on 8 March. I have
listened carefully to the views expressed in the European Parliament
during the past month. I understand that a *new wind* is blowing.

The matter is now in your hands, The Parliament can *reject* or
*substantially amend* the proposal. As I said in the plenary on 8 March,
if the Parliament decides to reject the common position, the Commission
will respect your wishes. I will not propose to the Commission to submit
a new directive.

I should like to underline, in accordance with what President Barroso
indicated in his letter to President Borrell of 25 February, that the
Commission stands ready to review all the arguments and positions
expressed and to work constructively with the Parliament and the Council
to find a solution in the interests of all. Should you decide to propose
commitments under the framework agreement. Any modifications will need
to be careful evaluated given the complexity of the subject matter. You
will understand, of course, that the Commission cannot speak on behalf
of the Council and I would urge the Parliament to engage constructively
with the Council in the future on this dossier. I am ready to help in
any way.

Yours Sincerely

Charlie Mc

Adam M