[Fsfe-ie] Microsoft wants reform of patent law

David Golden david at oldr.net
Fri Mar 11 22:47:02 CET 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 17:51, Teresa Hackett wrote:
>  From edri list
>
> See
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/mar05/03-10PatentRef
>orm.asp

Improve the patent system by  making it easier for small companies to
get patents by reducing fees for them.... Hm...  Strikes me that being
able to restrict others by patent monopoly more easily is rather poor
compensation for being restricted oneself. How about those of us who
have no desire to be restricted by patents nor to restrict others
(except restricting their restricting us with patents, duh)?

So you've got a patent, because it's being made easier to get patents
Big whoop.  If you want to actually do anything worthwhile
instead of being an Eolas, you still have the nigh-on insurmountable
patent portfolios of the big players to deal with.

Of course, patent rights are transferrable, AFAIK (?)   So you have
another option.  Get a patent for $CHEAP, because you're a small
company and you can, but microsoft would be charged $LOTS.   Now,
you can sell to microsoft for $MIDDLING.

Just great. So long as you don't actually want to write software and
are content to play pointless games with lawyers and bureaucrats
until you go bankrupt instead.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to "compromise":
Let people hold  patents, but  let patents only restrict those who hold
patents themselves.   i.e. only those who seek to restrict others with
patents shall be themselves restricted.