[Fsfe-ie] Irish Software Assoc-

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 21 12:04:10 CET 2005

On Monday, March 21, 2005 at 10:52 +0000, Malcolm Tyrrell wrote:
> > Interview with Cathal Friel, chairman of the Irish Software Association,
> > an industry representative body affiliated to IBEC.
> > ... He believes the Open Source movement is actually stifling innovation,
> > because fewer programmers will develop software without the financial
> > incentive of success".
>
> I'm sure that if I understood this point, I'd disagree with it.

If I knew who he thought was producing all this Open Source software
that's putting programmers off development then I might understand it better.

> By the way, were any of the articles in the suppliment critical of
> Microsoft, or Ireland's dependence on them, in any way?

You have to be kidding. I have a copy of the supplement on my desk. It's an
8 page puff piece; here, try some of these headlines:
  "A firm whose skill and flexibility have made serendipity in Ireland"
  "How the Irish economy was first awakened"
  "The golden relationship with the best of Ireland's resellers"
  "A company transformed, and a country transformed"
  "An engine for total change"
  "Software puts a hard edge our our economy"
  "Changing the world"

Most of the articles have no bylines and many read like PR releases
rather than journalism.

--
Glenn Strong