[Fsfe-ie] IPRED2 saga

teresahackett at eircom.net teresahackett at eircom.net
Wed Oct 19 23:50:31 CEST 2005

It just means that they've postponed discussion on IPRED2.

The reason is because there are two parts to IPRED2: a Council framework
decision and a proposal for a Directive. A "framework decision" and a
"directive" represent two separate legislative and political processes.
We usually just come across directives in our field of work.

For IPRED2, however, they need also a framework decision. This is
because they want to introduce criminal sanctions for copyright and
patent infringements. Criminal sanctions are normally only a matter for
Member States (under the principle of subsidiarity). The Council
framework decision is necessary to override the principle of
subsidiarity in this instance, so that there can be European legislation
on this issue. Otherwise, the Directive could be challenged in the ECJ
and would be likely deemed illegal. There is case law on this. This is
why criminal sanctions were removed from IPRED1, as it was likely the
Directive would have been struck down by the ECJ.

The Scrutiny Committee usually get an information note from the
responsible department on any draft European legislation. In this case,
they have only received an information note on one part, the framework
decision. They haven't got a note on the directive, the part of
substance for us. So they postponed their discussion until they get do.

Does this make sense?

Teresa