[Fsfe-ie] Latest on March 16th event: FOSS Means Business

Adam Moran adam at webarchitects.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 15:15:07 CET 2006

Hi,

14/02/06 15:55 Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> * contribute to the wiki:
>   http://belfoss.org
>   (That is the official event wiki, for the public, so remember that the IT
>   managers that we are trying to impress will be looking there.)

I've made this page but I've not linked to it:

http://foss-means-business.org/Benefits

> When I put "foss means business" into google (including quotes), I get zero
> hits right now, so we can gauge how effective our web presence is spreading
> by checking that each day.  Every new hit will be because of us.

There's 13 there now - lucky for some ;)

One thing that sprang to mind is that some folk tend to ignore stuff if
they get it for nothing. For instance the political groups on the sunny
streets of Sheffield always try and sell you their comics rather than
give you the words of wisdom; the theory is that if you have to buy
something, your more likely to take it home and read it so that you
don't feel ripped-off. I dunno if folk actually read the stuff, but I
seldom see the rags with a price littering the streets.

( I understand also that some trick-cyclists make folk pay for cures as
they claim it as a placebo effect. )

> * raising funds for improving the event's appearance

Maybe have a conference charge for those groups that know the price of
everything and the worth of nothing.

--
Adam Moran    Contracts Manager
Phone       +44 (0)114 255 8097