[Fsfe-ie] GPLv3 - what should/could we plan?

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 9 23:47:23 CET 2006

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> writes:
> The first public draft of the GPLv3 will be published on January 16th along
> with an explanatory document about why each change was made.  If anyone has
> ideas for people we should keep informed, or press we should inform, or
> noise we should make, or whatever, now's one of the finest times to mention
> them.

One thing that'd probably be doable and useful is a press release.  Some of
it could be prepared before the draft GPLv3 is published - such as info
about the GPL being the #1 free software license, about it being copyleft,
and about the changes.  None of us know what changes will be made, but
Stallman and Moglen have mentioned ideas they've been thinking about.  Some
are at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL#GPLv3

Other things that could be mentioned are the public consultation process,
for which there is info at: http://gplv3.fsf.org

Should we also send a note to our political contacts, letting them know that
we can provide or act as a conduit for information?  Is there something like
that, equivalent to a press release, but for legislators?

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, _________|  Support free software: join FSFE's Fellowship
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ |   & encourage others to do so: http://fsfe.org