[Fsfe-ie] New terms for software patents debate?

Rory Browne rbmlist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 10:02:48 CEST 2008

I think we need a new stratagy to tackle the problematic aspects of software
patents, and not
software patents themselves.

The main reason that patents are so problematic in software, is that the
speed of advancement in
software technology is so much greater than in the traditional fields that
patents were designed for.

Even if we do stop software patents, people will come up ( and have come up
with ) with work-arounds
that patent the raw methods, and don't mention the fact that they are
software-implemented.

I think what we need is a clause, that allows the free implementation of
patents in software after a
shorter time period ( maybe 2-3 years ), which would basicly mean that
software patents ( whether
labeled as such or not ) would effectively expire in 2-3 years.