[Fsfe-ie] Bad EU legislation

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Jul 4 20:21:39 CEST 2008

Brian Cleland wrote:
> From Glyn Moody's blog:
>
> "Urgent: Please write to your MEP – Now! There is a very important EU vote taking place on July 7th on some amendments to telecommunications legislation that threaten to sneak in a number of catastrophic measures"
>
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1001&blogid=14

On Monday! Sheesh. Thanks for spotting this, Brian.

This seems to be framed as (and doubtless is) a weapon to be used
against file sharing networks. We should frame our response carefully to
ensure that the important points about open access, Free Software, and
the effective privatization of enforcement are not lost (in the fog of
"filesharing" arguments).