[Fsfe-ie] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner on sale, bulk buy special

Patrick O'Connor patrick.oconnor at sysadmin.ie
Thu Jun 26 16:42:30 CEST 2008

2008/6/26 Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org>:

> If anyone's interested in a needs-DIY free-est mobile phone available, then
> the OpenMoko Freerunner might be of interest:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner
>
> They have a promo for regions where 10 people group-buy them:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GroupSales
>
> The price is $369 (xe.com says that's €235) plus shipping (which should
> also
> be cheaper in bulk than if done individually).
>
> From what I've heard, this version is definitely not ready to be a used as
> your main mobile phone, and you should be ok with installing and upgrading
> software.

Do you mind me asking where you heard this? I got the original neo and it
was definitely barely an alpha. I had higher hopes for the FreeRunner, as
did most of those who bought the original but maybe that was too much to
expect?? Or are your comments possibly directed at the original neo phone?

>  I don't know much else about the reliability or feature set.  I
> saw complaints about batter life, but I also saw people saying that was
> largely fixed recently.

I checked out the site and there's no entry for Ireland yet. Anyone
interested in clubbing together, I'd be on if we could get the numbers.

Patrick

Blog: http://patrickoconnor.ie/blog
http://www.patchcom.ie
http://www.synchronicity.ie