[Fsfe-ie] Meeting this evening

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Nov 17 14:24:03 CET 2009

Hi,

On 17/11/2009 13:05, Ben North wrote:
> I'd have one agendum:
>
>    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1116/education.html   [text copied below]
>
> describes how the government is going to give a pile of money to schools
> for computers.  I think IFSO should write to somebody urging the use of
> Free Software as part of this initiative.  Describe some successful
> deployments of Free Software in schools (no doubt we can find lots of
> case studies on the web), the educational benefits of knowing what's
> going on 'inside' the computer, growing use within industry, etc., etc.
> Not guaranteed to have a huge immediate effect, but will raise the
> profile of Free Software within education.

I agree but unfortunately in the Irish Times report at
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1117/1224258982226.html
it says:

"A group chaired by Paul Rellis of Microsoft Ireland will track
implementation of the new plan and report to the Minister."

I wonder how much of the €150 million and €30 million annual top up is
designated for software licenses (as distinct from support, etc.)?

David

--
Dr David O'Callaghan
 Research Fellow - Grid-Ireland - e-INIS - Computer Architecture & Grid