[Fsfe-ie] Meeting this evening

phil@gmail phil.galligan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:50:12 CET 2009

Hi,
totally agree that IFSO should put a foot in and at least highlight the fact
that there are alternatives to non-open software.
I work with my local primary school on a casual basis with their IT systems
and I can tell you they prioritize equipment like interactive whiteboards
and printers, before shiny new laptops for teachers. (the fact is many
teachers use their *own* laptops for their class.)
I've been aiming to put a linux/samba solution together for the school(as
they are reaching the number where a domain will be worth it) and I'd love
to hear from anyone who's done it already.
In general though, management are amazed that they don't *need* to buy hefty
office licences or winServer licences, etc. I'd love to see the IFSO raising
their voice here. It may also highlight the lack of options on new
machines...ie. Free AV, OOffice, etc.

thanks,
Phil.