[Fsfe-ie] Handful of swpat articles. This is heating up again...

Ciarán O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 26 11:34:29 CEST 2011

"Patent war pending", by Adam MAGUIRE
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/innovation/2011/0826/1224302794951.html

I only skimmed it quickly, but it seems mostly ok.  I got the impression he
attributes the problems to the "loose patent-approval process".  That's a
conception we have to fix.  A quality problem exists, but it's not *the*
problem.  Software ideas simply shouldn't be patentable.

He mentions NPR's "When Patents Attack" article from a month ago:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/07/26/138576167/when-patents-attack

It's a really great read.  The result of a year of chasing down Intellectual
Ventures.

The Economist also had something recently:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/08/intellectual-property

I put together something of my own, just out of necessity:
http://news.swpat.org/2011/08/more-than-trolls/

And Stallman published this in The Guardian last week:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/22/european-unitary-patent-software-warning

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, +32 485 118 029 (<-NEW), http://ciaran.compsoc.com

Please help build the software patents wiki: http://en.swpat.org