[Fsfe-ie] Ireland's National Library Digitisation Programme

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Tue Apr 29 07:39:34 CEST 2014

"""
What is permission, and how is it different from copyright?

The NLI provides copies of images and other material in its
collections on the understanding that no copy will be reproduced
without the NLI’s written permission. For the right to reproduce a
copy, a reproduction fee will usually be charged, and acknowledgement
must be made to the NLI in the publication. Many items in our
collections are still in copyright so written permission from the
copyright holder must also be obtained by the person seeking to
reproduce the item.content here...
"""

So they are publishing items that are out of copyright but still
asserting some nebulous form of ownership of these items. Is it
possible for me to look at something in their online collection
without implicitly agreeing to this "license"?