[Fsfe-ie] is this list still alive

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at scss.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 17 17:04:19 CET 2016

Hi Dietmar,

Further to Bob's comments.

I work in TCD and I have had to deal with this question a number of
times. Here we have an explicit IP policy which covers work produced by
/undergraduate/ students as part of their degree.

TCD asserts no claim of ownership over that work. I base this on the
College IP policy (link below), where they say that college don't claim
any ownership of IP for "any copyright material submitted as an exercise
in full or partial fulfilment of the requirements for the award of a
qualification from TCD"

(work produced by staff or research students is not necessarily covered
by the same policy, BTW)

That policy is published by the TCD research & Innovations Office:
https://www.tcd.ie/research_innovation/assets/doc/tto/Policy%20Documents/Intellectual%20Property%20Policy.pdf
(relevant quote on page 5)

It is possible that your institution publishes a similar policy?

As Ben & Bob point out it's very possible that the college are simply
trying to cover themselves so that they can, for example, put your
dissertation in the library, or have another project build on it, and
the presence of a rather legalistic looking header on the source has
triggered a reflex.

Who is it that has asked that you sign over the rights? I imagine it's
your academic supervisor for this work, simply because it's odd for
anyone else to have read the code!

- Glenn