ILIAS mix of GNU GPL with own terms

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Jun 1 15:28:33 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:15:54PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> The FSFE wants to see a real GPL for the German law and has started
> some activities towards it. Many trying to get competent lawyers
> together lawyers in other countries and the FSFs lawyers.
> Expect progress to be slow on this topic.

This is quite interesting. Can we expect to see a meta-GPL? For example,
something along the lines of "This software is licenced under the GNU
General Public License, governed by the laws of country <x>.". After which
one would insert gpl-<x>.txt :)

Quite often you see in a license that licensees agree to be bound by the
courts of a certain state / country (usually the author's country?), and it
would be interesting to see how different the GPLs of each different country
might be (with respect to copyright, warranty, etc., being defined by the
local law).

Cheers,

Alex.