[Fsfe-ie] Letter about EUCD implementation

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Dec 13 13:24:03 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 02:47:59PM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Ciaran O'Riordan thought:

> The other idea I had was:
>
> How about this: get 5(2) of the draft implementation:
> "Where the beneficiary has legal access to the protected work or
> subject-matter concerned, the rightsholder shall make available to the
> beneficiary the means of benefitting from the permitted act."
>
> amended with:
> "Means of benefitting shall be permission to circumvent, or permission
> to make use of a protection-defeating device to make legal use of a
> copyrighted work, if no other practicable means is provided."

The thing _I_ see in this is that the win32 DVD player that _is_ provided
will be considered "practicable means" and so the linux-based free DVD
player still will be illegal.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)